Followers

Sunday 24 December 2023

Christmas Craft Fairs & Me

 Christmas Fairs 2023

Hello Crafters

It ‘s been nearly 2 months since my last post, so what has happened and how did  I do at Christmas Fairs, with my new products.

Well as anyone who reads my blogs will know, this has not been a good year for me, and Nov and December continued the trend. My first Christmas Fair was a lovely large one in a country town near Bristol. Run by the Methodist church it is spread over 3 halls and runs from 10-4, with their members supporting the event and coming out from Bristol to buy their Christmas presents. It has in the past been my best event for income and I was looking forward to seeing how my new products went. Unfortunately I had Covid the week before the event and although I was showing clear on the Friday before the event I would not attend as I may pass it on, but also this Covid was totally exhausting and even with a friends help for the day I could not have managed the 10 hour day with the loading, unloading and standing most of the 6 hours of the Fair, so that was the main event of the year gone.

I did a local fair in a neighbouring village in early November and this was to be my only Christmas Fair for 2023. As it only lasted from 10 - 1.30, I had decided I could manage it on my own and set off in time to set up for 10am. All ready and with my table set up with my lovely Christmas pieces I stood at the side of the table happy to converse and show my products. Imagine my horror, when after an hour and a quarter , I had not sold an item. Being an experienced seller I did not let it show, but I was very worried that this could be the first show where I did not sell an item. At times like this you have to put a smile on, look around and see how everyone else is doing and if you can learn anything from their successses. 

The table next to me was a friend I know from Craft group and she was doing reasonably well with her beautifully painted Plant Pots and other items, although from chatting to her (probably not quite up to previous years). Other tables were selling though not in large numbers. 

After the Bell-ringers had performed for 15 minutes or so, I made my first sell. 4 Christmas cards, which whilst not a vast amount, it represented a good sell for me as Christmas cards have become a difficult sell and I had decided only to take my individual cards which I was selling at £1.95 each or 2 for £3.50. So to sell 4 to one customer was very pleasing. Behind this customer another lady came up to the stall picked up 4 of my Christmas shopper bags, and handed me the money without blinking or conversation. This helped my confidence and I continued to make steady sells with a little burst at the end of the day. 

So what did  not sell:-

Surprisingly I did not sell one of the lovely origami boxes filled  with Quality Street and Roses chocolates inside 


Nor did my Fabric Covered Journals, or the wallet Christmas gift bags, large shopper bags or Very disappointing the Worry Worms. 

What did sell:-

Well, as mentioned before my Christmas cards and I sold a few more after the initial sell. 
My Christmas shopper bags went well, and I sold a few Shoe Bags, and 3 more of the Craft Bags which had been my best seller at the Autumn craft fair I attended. 

All in all I sold reasonably well for a half day fair, and if the dates fall right next year I will attend again. I have already booked the larger fair previously mentioned as I feel this will be a good test of my products.

As you know I. Make these items for the fun of it and sell them for Charity. So the disappointment of not being able to attend the larger Christmas Fair meant I had a much smaller amount to give to the local hospital, however this was boosted with money taken at Pawlett Village Hall Coffee morning in December. The committee kindly offered me a table free of charge, as it was for the local hospital. And in the hour I was there I took £53, which meant I am able to add this to the pot.  I was also asked to have a stall at a coffee morning in a nearby parish who were holding the Coffee morning for SURE. Although this was open for 3 hours I only managed to raise £35 form them. This event suffered from the number of events going on in the vicinity, and was not therefore that well attended. At both coffee mornings I did sell items not previously sold such as the origami boxes and the Worry Worms, so it was good for the soul, and you always learn from attending any events, by chatting to customers and event organisers and others attending. 
Mock-up Table for Christmas Craft fair



By the end of the events I had rallied from  the disappointment of missed opportunities and already planning tables for next year. Selecting items to keep in stock and letting go those that do not work so well. I passed on bags and cards to a friends daughter, who sells to colleagues and friends for a Cancer charity, I do this with my paper products that I make and are surplus to requirements, and Sarah recently emailed me to say her sails this year from items I had given her had raised £200. So I am happy with the amount of money raised over the last year for various Cancer charities and the 2 hospitals where my husband received his treatments. 

Crafting is a great comfort and stress releaser, and I would recommend it to anyone facing difficult times. It has certainly helped me get through this year and feel ready to go into 2024 with a little more hope. 

WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY CHRISTMAS and PEACEFUL NEW YEAR

Dee


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment