Followers

Tuesday 10 September 2024

New Tote Bag

 New Bag Inspired by the fabric

Another batch of fabric arrived a few days ago. This purchase was late being delivered and when I opened it I was disappointed as the fabrics were all stretch fabrics. As I was looking for fabric to make bags, stretch fabric was of little use. I sorted out a couple of large pieces that I could use for lining, and a couple of other prints I did not like I put out for the charity bag. But in amongst the last couple of pieces was a metre of green frog print. It was quite pretty and I thought it could be used for a little girls bag. 

Thinking about the fabric I considered the design, the size of the frogs and the colourful print, and decided it would not show it off well if I made a drawstring bag, which is the usual young persons bag. Instead I thought it would look good as a type of tote bag, but instead of cutting the corners I thought I would try an oval base and then add the height of the bag with a single piece of material attached to the base. I made the base piece with a 17cm oval and the main fabric 20”W  x  12H and then a matching liner. 
When I put the bag together I did not like the dimensions but realised it would work if I made it a little shorter. 


So I cut the next bag with the same base size but with a 20” x 9” piece for the sides.
I really liked the finish on this.


If you see the 2 together I think you will agree the shorter size works better.


It makes a lovely  bag for a little girl.
The design was all my own and I now have a cute little tote so that when I make more totes in the spring I will make the adult version in the standard way with a finish of 18 x 18 and a 5” base.  Where the fabric is suitable I will make a matching junior version using my new template. 

Back to Christmas crafting for now.

Happy Crafting

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment