Followers

Monday 10 February 2020

Using Your scraps - Make Together Tuesday

Hi Crafters 

Here we are in February and  I have been crafting madly this year, already , this has made lots of pieces to add to the scrap box.

Last year I did a series on using up your scraps, as ideas for using up your scraps are so useful, I thought  I would run another series during February, and expand on the ideas from last year.


Brag book, binder strips and bows 




First I start by sorting my scraps into piles.
How they come out the scrap bag

Sorted into the piles for use


These consist of:
Long Strips
Large Pieces
Smaller pieces up to 10cm 
Kraft Card and heavier card 
White, Black, Gold and Silver card 
Christmas card

These are all put into their own polypage and then into a scrap bag 

The first section I am going to be working with is the long strips
These have come from 12 x 12 pages when I have been making my scrapbook or other projects 

The main makes with these will  be 
Mini Brag book and Beautiful Bows 
For the Brag Book 
  • I took 2 of the wider strips that measured 8cm wide and 30cm long
  • FOlded them in half and then into the centre of each piece so they were concertina style.
  • I then placed one on top the other and glued together 
  • Taking 2 pieces of scrap heavy card I cut to 8.5cm square and covered them in pretty coordinating papers (again from my scrap pile) You only need to cover one side, gluing down on the reverse
  • Glue a piece of ribbon to the middle of the front section and to the middle of the back section to use for ties   
  • Then Glue one of your card square to the front and one to the back

This makes a pretty little brag book that will hold 12 small photographs and fit into pocket or handbag.


Selecting strips



booklet made and Kraft card selected for covers


Completed Book

Next I took the smaller strips and made paper bows, these are so useful for all your boxes and bags or to decorate your paper projects I am happy to make a big batch.

There are several tutorials on YouTube particularly for making them using your WeRMemory Keepers Envelope maker. I have one but I prefer to make them freehand as they are so simple.

  • Take a strip approx 2cm wide by 30cm long but you can use any length from 20cm just narrow the strip accordingly
  • Fold in half and then fold each end up to just below the centre fold
  • Cut fan tails in the 2 open ends of the strip while they are together 
  • Run a bone folder or sissors along the centre pieces to bow it a little.
  • Add a small piece of red (strong) double sided tape to the centre fold on the back of the strip and fold the bowed area so the fold half way down sits to the centre line on both side  
  • Add some double sided tape to the middle of the back and decorate the centre of the bow 



So lots of lovely bows from your scrap pieces.

Other ideas include 
1. Binder strips - 3 strips of 3 different sizes with a 1cm scored centre. Glue together and use for scrapbook and mini album spines to add pages to your projects 


Here are some I made from my strips and I will store them ready for use.
2.  Rosettes to decorate your cards and projects and to add your greetings
3. Photo Corners 

Next week I will use another section of the Scrap pile to recycle into projects so be sure to drop by and check them out 

Happy Crafting 
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment