Followers

Wednesday 1 December 2021

Christmas embossed Stars for decorations

 Hi Crafters

I noticed that only the last few of my recent blogs have been Christmas crafting, noticeably less than in previous years where I have done whole series  of projects such as “12 days of Christmas Cards” or “Craft Fair makes” . What is it about this Christmas that has not led me to do Christmas crafts in such depth as before?

Firstly I think it is lack of Craft Fairs to take part in and then having done one at the end of October I decided not to do any more this year and I will seriously be looking at doing them at all in future. There are 2 main problems for paper crafters.

Firstly craft lovers who attend such fairs, are often crafters themselves, enjoy your products happily chat to you about your makes,  but then rarely buy as they prefer to go home and try making it themselves. This happens more and more nowadays. Five - ten years ago they would buy as they wanted the template and perhaps did not feel confident to make the item themselves without a sample to follow. But as time goes on and they have made more themselves so the construction of projects is more easy to them. That is a natural progression and you only have to consider the amount of craft items sold on Tv to understand how many people are participating in some type of craft today. 

Secondly there is a wide variety of cheap products available in the stores that are similar (although not as personal or unique ) as hand crafted items. Many of your makes can be purchased for less in stores such as Home Bargains, The Works and B & M. All stock pretty stationary, notelets, journal book and planners, they make great stocking fillers and at throwaway prices. The area I live is not a market for £40 Journals and Albums. So I need to be realistic and view my hobby as just that, a hobby. 

With that said I intend to continue to enjoy my hobby and the upside of not making for fairs or to sell in any way, is I can make what I like when I like and take my time learning and trying new techniques. 

And so I find myself trying something new this weekend. I saw the technique on Positively Papercraft, and will be making star decorations from Paper Towels. 

Ann on P.P. Used the embossed paper towels with her dies to cut out leaves painted them with water colours, finished with PVA glue or clear embossing for a 3D wreath on a card. It looked amazing.

I have made paper stars a lot and found a good way of making them 3D, but decided to try using the paper towel technique and have a play. I also tried embossing the papers 

These stars have been made with 2 pieces of paper towels then folded in 3 to make 6 layers. My star dies were then used to cut out the shapes (the stitch edged dies seem to hold the layers together better, and so i mainly used these. I then decorated them, some I added PVA glue with water to give a firmer front.


I also added some to ribbon to make hanging stars and these will be hung from the Mantel  or shelf.


So what will I do with the individual stars???

Some will be used to make a couple of unique cards. 
Decorate gift bags and gift boxes 



And the remaining will be scattered like confetti in gifts or when I sell anything, as happy mail. 

Let me know if you try this technique, and please subscribe to my blog as it encourages me to keep posting.
Dee



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment