Followers

Sunday 1 May 2022

May is Using Up your Stash Month

 Using Up Your Stash

Project One - Embellishments 

Hi Crafters

So this month I decided to look at my stash and share my ideas to work with what I have rather than buy new. I have set myself a target of not buying anything this month, ( although please do not hold me to it if I see a bargain I cannot miss). Hopefully I can make several projects that will be interesting and useful without adding new items. 

The first step was to sort all my papers and embellishments as well as stamps and scraps. This has been done in preparation, and had the added bonus of reminding me of all the items I had and where, if any, there was room for additional crafty bits. 

So the first project uses up small pieces of light card and papers from the scrap bags. My bags are actually laminated pockets that I make to store my dies, and work very well to store the scrap papers and card. They are sorted into colour blocks.

For the first project I wanted to use any small bits not narrow strips as I will make some cards with them, but any pieces under 3-4” that are too small for toppers or matting. 

I then took out my punches and punched out lots of flowers, I use punches for this as it is quicker than putting them through a die cutting machine, but if you do not have punches then use multiple small dies and cut them out in batches.


As you can see this has made a pile of flowers all different colours, so the next job is to pair them up so we can layer them to make them 3D. 


As you can see they are flat and a little uninteresting at this stage so take out your foam pad and ball tool and shape the petals 

Add a dimension stickers to the middle and place together to form a flower.

Add a pretty gem to the centre to finish. 



This may not seem so exciting on their own but I will be adding them to a project I am making and below on the left is one finished with a purchased embellishment and the one on the right is finished with one of these hand crafted flowers 


I hope you will agree they are both pretty adornments and work equally well.
I also make bows using long thin strips that are too narrow for anything else. This is ideal for matching bows to the background papers. 
Simple cut the strips thinly and at least 8” long 
Run a pair of scissor solve the strip to curl the paper and then fold into the centre and glue down, add another piece on the cross . 
Add another couple of pieces made the same way so there are 4 layers, then add a flower centre. 

These are perfect if you have scraps to match your projects, or to decorate your gift boxes and bags.

I have also used the same idea to make butterfly embellishments 


 So don’t throw away those scraps get busy re-purposing them.

TIP
Cut out the shapes at your craft desk and then you can shape and put together while watching the tv or relaxing in the evening.

Dee



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment