Followers

Saturday 8 October 2022

Christmas Stash Makes

 Crafting with your Stash

Project 2

For my next Christmas Project with items from the box I decided to make some table favours.
I checked out a few on YouTube and Pinterest and in the end decided not to use dies to cut hem out as although they were pretty boxes with intricate cut-outs, you were limited to the size of the die. Instead I decided to go back to a favourite style, the self - closing pouch box. I had templates using 12 x 12 papers and then had to adjust the sizing for the small size I required.

This was a very useful exercise as not only did I learn that the basis of this box required a square centre panel to make it work but that instead of making the box with 2 sheets of card I could in fact work it out to are from one sheet.

As well as the  3” favour box I am showing, I can make cute little 2.5”, 3.5” , in fact any size up to 5” as this fits onto a sheet of A4 or 12 x 12 card.
As I wanted to use my Paper Tree Christmas pad (8 x 8) the 3” box left me enough paper over to make a name plate card, which elevates the project, so I have used papers from the Yuletide Memories pad. 

I started with a 2.5 as a trial. Made with a piece of 6 x 6 glitter card and inlaid with a piece of paper from the scrap box ( it is from a Paper Tree inset paper pack) 



Before making a set using the 8 x 8 papers.
For each favour and card, cut the 8 x 8 sheet down to 6.5”W x 5”H 
This gives you a strip 1.5” which you could make tags to add names if you wish and a 3” strip that I folded in half to make name place cards.

Score the width at 3” and 6”
Turn and score 1.25” at the base of the sheet and again at 4.25” , leaving 0.75” at the top 
This will give you two 3” squares with a strip at the bottom and top and a side strip that allows you to join the front to the back of the box. 
Mark the bottom of the left square in the centre and score up from the bottom edge to the score line and then from the pencil mark to the outside edges of the square at the top 

You will end up with a bottom ledge marked in 4 equal parts and the side seam
Two 3” squares, one with a triangle (upside down) marked in the centre
A top ledge with 2 sections and the side seam

Next cut up the score lines of the 3 bottom sections cutting a slight V notch, cut away the bottom side seam section
Cut the top in the same way on the centre score line and cut away the side seam section you will end up with this 


I usually corner my top ledges by folding in half and using my corner punch 
Fold and burnish all the score lines particularly the triangle 
Put double sided tape or glue the outside of the side seam and fold together.
Fold the bottom four section in as you would when making a box and glue each section down, making sure to line up the sides so there is no overlap. This box can be opened and filled using the top section. 

You will then have your favour box.


Here they are with the place cards alongside. I have put a hole in the centre of the top ledge and threaded some ribbon. And added some holly or start to the front section of the triangle to decorate but you can use name plates or any form of decoration that goes with your Table settings. This size holds approx 3 Lindl chocolates.

I like to add these boxes to the Christmas Tree with little chocolates inside to be given to visitors over the holidays. 

I hope you will enjoy having a go at making them from your stash of card and papers, they do not require any special dies or equipment so anyone can join in. 


Dee 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment