Followers

Monday 31 October 2022

Large Christmas Bows ~ More Makes from my stash

Christmas Makes for Home or Craft Fairs 

Large Bows 

Over the years I have purchased many items in the January sale particularly Small decorations and rolls of gorgeous ribbon for crafting. 

I also own several bow makers which are great for the smaller bows and medium size that you want to add to parcels or cards. But this year as I have been going through my stash, trying to use what I have I thought large bows for decorating in the home, adding to Santa Stop here signs, and/ or gift boxes would be a good item for Craft Fairs. 



I am not doing any this year, due to family illness, but I still like to think about all my craft making in terms of:

what would be fun to make

What makes are suitable for Craft Fairs

What makes would be good for demonstrations or classes

I think the large bows would definitely be something I want to try at a Craft Fair and will make a few different samples to try.

The first one is for childrens rooms or parcels, I think it would be perfect for the bedroom door 
It measures 10” across and in height and takes up a standard Christmas reel of approx 3yds 

To make this styled bow you will need
3yds of chosen ribbon
Some cotton to tie off, (or you could use a plastic tie and cut it)
A good pair of scissors

I have used a wire edged ribbon  
Fold around the ribbon so the end is in the middle until you have the desired size bow.
Then around a couple more times so you have 3 layers and cut off 
Cut another piece of ribbon 20” long 
The odd piece left tie a soft knot in the middle

With the Bow pieces, squeeze the sides into the middle at the centre and tie around with cotton
Using the 20” piece for the tail, fold in half so that the right sides are showing both halves and pinch together at the top lay the the back of the bow.
Then use the soft knotted piece to tie the three pieces together securing tightly at the back and trimming the ends to sit within the bow.
Once everything is together  pull the bow sections out and shape nicely.

If you need to see this on a video there are several on YouTube but I found the following the easiest to follow but I used cotton instead of ties 


I made 3 bows of various sizes, but if I was going to take these to a Craft Show I would probably stick with a 6” and 10” bow 
To display them I would use an A5 or A6 sheet of card and lay the bow on the card stitching it down just under the centre knot.
So I have gone ahead and done a couple to show you .



Once attached to the card they will stand up easily in a basket 


This was the 10” bow on an A4 card

Below is the 6” bow on an A5 card ~ stitched on the same way.



As they take a lot of ribbon I would sell the large for £2.50 and the medium for£1.50, although if you used more expensive ribbon you would need to charge more, but a selection of prints and ribbon, sizes and price offer the buyer a good variation. 

Back soon with some Christmas Stars that really stand out

Dee






No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment