Followers

Sunday 18 June 2023

Medium Tote - Project bag

 Medium Tote - Project Bag

This lovely bag is a derivative of the one shown in my last post. 
The pattern shown on on the YouTube video produces a small tote bag and I could not think what I would use it for except as a gift box, so I sized it up to make it a more usable bag for me.

This bag is very quick to make as it consists of 2 pieces of fabric and 2 handles made for the same fabric. I make the handles first and then lay them on the right side of one of the pieces of fabric either end and lay the second piece over the top face down, finishing it the same way as the large tote bag with pockets. You can make it any size you fancy, but may need to add a stabiliser,  if your fabric is thinner cotton, as I use mainly soft furnishing fabrics I do not think I need it. 

I made a batch of 5 with the same fabrics as the larger totes so anyone wishing too, could buy a set. Having made a few I thought I would add an inside claw clasp to clip keys or purses to so you can find them easier. So some have this added item.. All are finished with top stitching 

The size of the finished bag is approximately 
8” Tall - 15” wide - 5” deep 
Or 20.5cm Tall - 38cm Wide - 13cm deep
and the handles have been lengthened on some to allow them to go over the shoulder





Having finished a selection of these medium totes I came across some fabric that I had purchased from a charity shop. The fabric looked new and had been made up as table clothes, but as they had teddy bears on they would really only be useful for a Teddy bears picnic or child’s tea party. I had planned to make some drawstring gift bags but decided to make them into storage/gift bags. They would be perfect for storing toys or baby items in the nursery or child’s bedroom or taking toys to Grandma, that could easily be packed up again at the end of the visit. 

Doubling up the fabric so it was a lined bag I made the handles first again and then sewed up the storage bags. The print had been cut with bags in mind so worked well for their storage bags showing the bears off well. I managed to make 3 with the fabrics I had and was very pleased with the outcome.



As you can see one bag is empty and the other has books and soft toys in to show it in use.
These will also go in my Etsy shop soon. 
These bags take roughly an hour to make and as I am selling them at £7.95 they are a great price. If the weather stays as sunny as it has been the last couple of weeks it would also make a great picnic bag.

Happy Crafting
Dee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment