Followers

Monday 10 December 2018

Christmas Craft Shows 2018

Hi Crafters

It has been a while since my last post as I had much to catch up with after the 12 Days of Christmas Cards and 12 Days of Christmas Gifts.

As you know during November I also did 2 Christmas Craft Fairs and I said I would let you know what went well and what did not.

At the first fair I was not prepared for the high spec of the stalls and buyers. The show  had good footfall and buyers were looking for gifts to  buy, my items were selling at £2-£3 and I think they were actually not the price range being sought for presents by buyers attending. This is a lesson in knowing your fairs and potential customers as the only items I had over £5 were 2 lovely wreaths that I did not present properly and consequently did not get seen until near the end of the show when I made room for them on the table. I then heard a lady say "I wish I had seen that earlier as I have spent out." Her friend had also run out of cash and therefore I was unable to make a sale.

So these customers were not looking for stocking fillers and this was the bulk of my items. However I did sell stars and star cards very well, as I was able to engage with people, explain my design concept and the way the star card worked. So I sold the decorative stars and the star cards. I did sell a couple of packs of decorated paperclips, some gift boxes, but very few of the small items.

I also had an opportunity to talk to other stall holders and one in particular  was very helpful, having attended this particular fair for many years he was able to pass on useful information.

In terms of actual sales I made as much as the average fair, but the cost of the table was higher, and the footfall very good so my sales should have been more. On the other side I met some lovely people, learnt a lot and will focus my attention on more specific areas for next year.

At the second fair, it was a different story altogether. My sister was selling star cards, favours and matchbooks, so I concentrated on notelet sets, gift boxes, brooches and snowflakes. The stocking filler items went well as did the enamel brooches, (I do not make these so they would not be appropriate for Craft Fairs but this was a Christmas Fair). The wallet stationary sets went very well.  Again I chatted to people some ladies took my details for workshops so it was a good day all round. This fair is only on in the morning so in terms of sales was very good .

If you want to make money at craft fairs then paper goods are a difficult sell, I love to attend fairs and sell at them, to clear items made and make room in the craft room. As I craft for a hobby I do not want to make lots and lots of the same thing, rather I want to make whatever is new and fun to try. This is not a business approach and therefore I cannot expect to sell lots. But as long I cover costs and make a little toward my next craft buy, I am a happy crafter. So far my Christmas Fairs have been kind to me and enjoyable. If you want to try fairs to make room or make money for your craft or charity, check out YouTube for lots of advice and ideas and be prepared to have a learning curve.

One of the ideas I use each year is a trial layout of my stall. You are given the measurement of the table you have booked and it is a good idea to  measure the size out and lay out your items. Try to get height at the back so that visibility is good
Here is my layout for this year.

You can see the ribbon marking out the table size and in the front you can see the start of the star wreaths that did not fit, and which I hung on the front of the table where no-one saw it. 

I have stands that sit at the back of the table 
But still feel I put too much on the table and must learn to be leaner with spare items stored underneath, as this will allow items to be seen more clearly. 

Back soon with details of Craft Days booked for 2019

Happy Crafting 
Dee 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment