Followers

Wednesday 17 March 2021

Laminated Wallets - Using up your Papers

 Hi Crafters


You know how I said at the beginning of the year that I was going to try and destash, buy less etc, well I have bought less, but not stopped altogether as you are always drawn to beautiful papers and project items that you just have to try. I will show some purchases in another post, but today is all about trying to use up what we already have.

I was going through my paper stash and came across a pack of 12 x 12 papers from K & Co. Purchased on QVC many moons ago and added to from a bargain buy on Ebay.

A lot of the designs on the papers are by Brenda Walton and Elizabeth Brownd, and I love the patterns and colours they use. Looking at the style of papers I thought they would make good wallets and proceeded to think out the design and cuts I would make for maximum use. The following instructions are for a wallet designed specifically to use up your 12 x 12 papers. 

Here are the lovely wallets made from 12 sheets of my stash. 1 Sheet = 1 wallet


To make these you need:

2 sheets of 12 x 12 
1 sheet of laminating paper A4
Popper or closure system

Cut the 12 x 12 sheets down to 20cm x 29cm (save the side strips to use later)
Place the 2 sheets, both with printed sides out, together. Put them into the laminating pouch and put through the laminating machine. Use a trimmer to cut to the edge of the papers so the 2 sheets come apart and the outsides are laminated.

Score each sheet at 10cm,11cm, and 23cm, along the 29cm side and mark the middle of the short side (top) about 2cm from top. If you have a corner punch round the top corner of the sheet.

Before you put the wallet together, add your closure to the area marked in the centre of the top. This could be a popper (like I have used), a riveted circle to take ribbon or a button top and bottom to wind string or ribbon round. Put a hole where you made your mark and then fold the wallet over and using your pokey took through the same hole, gently mark the corresponding area to make a hole in the bottom section of the wallet. Add you chosen closure.

With your side strips cut 2 pieces 9.5cm long and 10cm wide score each piece at 2cm,4cm,6c,8cm across width. 

Fold these to make concertina side panels for the wallet. 
Lay  the wallet flat  and glue side panels to the centre section of the wallet just above the score line. Fold up the front of the wallet and glue to the top part of the side panels. 

You can make 2 wallets from the 2 sheets and one laminating pocket, leaving oddments approx 10cm x 10cm . As I made several wallets in one go I used these oddments for another little pocket. I put 2pieces  together and laminated them using a smaller laminating pocket. I cut the top off to make a laminated pocket for trinkets or adding to journals, I have just punched a semi circle in the top to open, but you could punch holes in the top to close it with ribbon 


If we are able to have craft shows later in the year these wallets will definitely be on my table. Crafters can store their die cuts, ribbon and tape, or other craft items to tidy up the desk. Stationary lovers can have them for their paperwork and vouchers etc. 

 Although these are my own design I was initially inspired to make laminated wallets from  a lady called Lolly Palooza on YouTube, you can see her video here. 

I hope you have a go at making them and let me see your results 
Happy crafting 
Dee


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment