Followers

Friday 8 July 2022

Anna Griffin Extra Special Trinket Box

Project 2  

Trinket Box from Anna Griffin papers and card


This pretty trinket box is made from 2 sheets of 12 x 12 Anna Griffin papers, and one sheet of 12 x 12 card for the lid.
4 pearl decorations and a glass bead for the lid. I also added 4 metal corner to strengthen the lid.

I have made many of these trinket boxes in different sizes this is the largest size. They are made using an origami fold and instructions can be found on YouTube I am adding a link, as video tuitions are much easier to follow when making origami folds. 

The video will give you the folds for any size I have used 6” squares, 8” and 12”  for previous makes and this one is 12 x12.
You then measure the opening square and make a lid to fit.

Make your base box as shown in the video with the first page of the 12 x 12 paper
Until you get to the part where you have pushed out the base of the box and the flaps are loose
Leave the base box and start to make the lid.
From a 12 x 12 sheet folded for the trinket box base, the opening is 3” square. Therefore a piece of card 5.5” square. Scored at 1/4”, 3/4”. 1 1/4” on all four sides


Cut the ends to make a box and fold the score lines with the outside edge folded back as this forms the inside liner to the box,



Next cut a piece of matching card 4.5” square and stick on top so the box sits inside the base and the 4.5” square becomes the lid. 
You can line the inside of the lid with a 2.75” square in the same card or contrasting plain colour.
And a 3” piece of card to add a layer to the top 
This is the lid upside down 
I have added metal corners to the top and and glad bead to lift the top off. The glass bead has been added using a hot glue gun.

This trinket box itself is not my own idea, as I said before I found this on YouTube and have adapted it for the sizes I wanted.
However this particular box has my own twist as Anna Griffin papers are one sided and I did not want cream flaps showing, I also wanted it to be a little stronger .
I therefore made a lining for the box by cutting a coordinating piece of paper, from the Anna Griffin stash, down to 11.5” square and folding it in the same origami folds, but with the pattern on the inside.  When you get to the end of the folding and before you push out the bottom of the box, pull out the flaps, which will be the patterned paper, and tuck the main area of the box into the first box, this will give you a patterned lining and flaps that cover the plain flaps of the original base, with a small amount of plain edging.
I inked the edges of the plain flaps to blend in the top flaps and the added some wet glue between the two layers of the box base before gluing each of the flaps together. The flaps were then glued down on the outside with the hot glue gun. I also added a pearl and gilt embellishment to each flap.
You then have a very pretty trinket box that will hold jewellery, cosmetics, hair bands or anything you want to keep handy in a pretty box.

Here I am showing this lined box alongside another box made previously (not lined) using pearlised paper 12 x 12. In this box I keep all my broken jewellery pieces that I collect and use to decorate my projects.





I am so pleased that doing this Anna Griffin month has given me this design idea to improve a project that I loved,  and at the same time allows me carry my “Use Your Stash”  theme. 

Hope you enjoyed this 2nd Anna Griffin project and keep dropping by to see the next item made with her materials. 

Happy Crafting
Dee 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment