Followers

Thursday 1 July 2021

Back to Basics Card Making - No1 Diamond Point Card

 Card Folds and Styles 

No1 Diamond Point Card

This is the first time I have made this card although I have filed 2 examples to try.  I decided to make it my first card in this series because it looked fairly straight forward and does not require a stack of tools, so anyone with some card stock can have a go. That is what this series is all about, getting back to basics, making cards and enjoying your paper-crafting. I have gone off the track from cards for quite some time now and although I check out new designs with good intentions, I do not make a lot. However you can learn a lot about paper folding, making embellishments, presentation and mixed media as well as stamping, embossing and die-cutting all from the humble card. We all need cards at some point and during lock-down what could be nicer than receiving a hand-made card or note let. 

With school holidays about to hit us this is a great time to get crafting with the children. If you want to be really organised its a great time for them to make their Christmas cards for friends, particularly if you have  a stash of last years papers for them to use. 

As this is going to be a series I thought it would be a good time to use some card and papers in my stash. It is a 12 x 12 double sided pack and has some very pretty papers, at £2.99 for the pad it is ideal for trial runs, and experimenting, I always keep a couple of these pad in my stash as they are so handy. They are also thick enough to make boxes and gift bags.



For this card you will need 

1 6 x 6 card  (you can use any size but you would need to adjust the sizes of the layering pieces to fit your card
1 piece of 12 x 12 card stock will make 2 cards
Greeting and embellishment of your choice 
 So I started by selecting coordinating card and papers 

The card stock was an A4 pad of mixed colours with a pagination in the colour and they are more unusual colours, but it went well with the pad so i am using this as the base card. I think it was a bargain Ebay buy, and originated from Create and Craft but not 100% sure.


To make the card:
Cut the A4 card to 6” x 11.5” and fold in half to make base card
Cut a piece from the paper 5 3/4” square and  another 5 1/2” square

Now mark the centre of the bottom edge of the front of the base card and cut from the pencil mark to the top right hand edge.You can do this with a cutter or run a pencil line and cut with scissors. Repeat to the left side. You will have the the 2 pieces (that you can see on the right) to put back on the front. 

Place the 5 3/4” square onto the bottom section of the card. 
Take the 5 1/2” square mark the bottom middle as before and cut to the top left and right, The piece left should sit perfectly on the top triangle. 

To place the 2 triangles of card back onto the main card to complete the diamond front I found it easier to place on the mat and finding the centre and find the middle from the point to the outside edge and place the triangle onto front so that one side is on the middle point and the other side on the edge of card. And the point of the triangle sits at the top of the card. Once you have them lined up and are happy place a pencil mark on the back of the triangle where they cross the point and then glue from the line to the point before adding them to the card.  You can line these triangle with the pieces cut from your papers which will fit perfectly but I wanted the contrast of the plain white back of the card so left them unlined.

I then added a sentiment to the centre and decorated the side with some simple ribbon flowers. 

To complete card I cut another triangle to place on the base of the card where you can write your greeting. 



Here is the completed card. It is quite simple and effective, and quite easy to make, I must admit my first attempt was not quite right but only because I cut both my layering papers at 5 3/4”, and this did not fit well on the points whereas cutting the second square for the top triangles at 5 1/2” works perfectly.

You an try experimenting with different colour ways, I like the contrast and would make another one in stronger colours leaving the top triangles plain again, also one with more geometric patterns for a masculine card would be good again in bold colours 

Hope you have a go at this card and I would love to see your results. Just press the follow button at the top of the page and you can comment and send me your pictures. 

Dee



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment