Followers

Friday 24 July 2020

Washi Tape & Using it

Hi Crafters

This is the last post about items received during isolation. I was going to to another shaped card but then the Washi Tape arrived that I ordered in April and of course that got my head into uses for the Washi Tape and I just had to try a couple of ideas. So here are the results and then next week I will start a new series of posts about using up your paper stashes.

It had been so long since I ordered the tape I started with YouTube to get ideas, most of which were about using it for decoration.

So here are a few of them
  • Cover the end of your pencils and pens. Great if your children have a habit of sharing or lending their items. By decorating the end it not only makes a cheap pen or pencil look good, it is easily recognisable.
  • Decorate your Journal pages, and folders.
  • Decorate any drawers or storage boxes to give them a lift, The thing about Washi Tape it is removeable so this is a good way of changing your look
  • Cover Plastic wallets to make pretty folders for keeping receipts etc
Whilst I liked these ideas I wanted to use my tape on my paper projects so I checked out a couple of ideas and then went in my own direction.




As I love the soft hue that Washi Tape gives I wanted to use it for more than the background pages. 
So I took  a scrap piece of paper and covered the very pale blue paper with my mauve/pink washi Tape.
I then ran a couple of dies through my BigShot to see if it cut out. 
The results were very good and I decided to use them to make my cards


The beauty of using the tape for your embellishment and background is it all matches perfectly so you do not need to coordinate embellishments with card

I then chose my card, I used scalloped white cards for the base and a piece of white card for the front with a piece of mauve background card. 

On card No I, I took the background card and cover the edges in matching Washi Tape, I then laid 2 strips of matching thinner washi tape to the top white card, and laid a butterfly in the cross section
I finished this with a couple of strands of pearls just to add some bling and make it pop a little .
Card No 2, I did the same background but this time added 2 dragonfly embellishments and left the background card plain, but added bling to the corners.
Here are the finished cards 


The Washi tape I used came from AliExpress and I bought 3 sets, 2 floral and Seascape. They cost approximately £2.50 a set

 
To edge a background card I covered the sides with overlap and then cut the corners as I would if making a box, to keep the corners tidy. Then folded over the edges
 
 
 
 
This gave me the a pretty panel for matting



As the Washi tape goes through the die cutting machine well when stuck down firmly onto paper stock I thought I would also try it on vellum for embellishments

Back next week with my new series
Using up your stash of papers
Stay safe and happy crafting
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment