Followers

Thursday 11 June 2020

Back To Basics "Embossed Cards" Day 1

Embossed Cards Day 1

Using embossing folders to make your cards can be a simple and effective way to make quick cards.

So over the course of 2 posts I will show you some examples and give details of the items used.

For all the cards I made in this category I used white scalloped 7" x 5" cards from Craft UK limited. You can get them in the Range, or most Craft shops, I often buy them at Craft Fairs as they have an offer on multi-packs.

Card 1

For this first card (Birthday) I have made a masculine card
It is often difficult to get ideas for men that are not specific to a sport or hobby, but this one gives you plenty of scope to add or leave as it is. This embossing folder has proved to be elusive. I originally had a lovely Birthday embossing folder from Cuttlebug, hardly used it and sold it off on ebay. When I decided I needed this folder I had great difficulty getting hold of one, and ended up with 3 in my desperation. 



So for this card you will need :
I scalloped card as mentioned above 
1 embossing folder  A6 size (mine was purchased from AliExpress, but you can get other makes in the UK)
1 piece of white card 10.5cm by 14.5cm 
1 piece of green card 16cm x 11.5cm plus a little spare for the numbers
Number dies or number embellishments 

Use the white piece of card to emboss 
I like  to round the corners with my corner punch, as I feel it goes with the scalloped edge  
Layer that onto the green (you could use navy or any colour you choose), again I have rounded the corners 
Cut out the numbers and add them to the centre. I have just eyed the spacing to place the numbers
If you do not have number dies try typing the name of the recipient and layering it onto background card.
You could add string wrapped around these pieces before adhering to the base card or ribbon, if you had a matching colour, or printed ribbon that was appropriate. 

Card 2


Requires:
1 scalloped card as above
1 'With Sympathy'  Embossing folder by Darice
Black ribbon 30 cm 
1 piece of white card 10.5cm by 14.5cm 
1 piece of black card 16cm x 11.5cm 

Emboss the white piece of card, round the edges
Layer it onto the black card with rounded edges
Tie the ribbon around the card and make a bow in the front 
Once that is all flat on the back, glue the whole piece to the base card

These are some of the simplest cards I make but they are clean looking which is my style. Embossed cards are also a great way to get started on your greeting card journey. Whilst embossing is usually done using a die-cutting machine it can be done with a heavy duty rolling pin if you do not have a machine. There are a few videos on YouTube that show this method. Embossing folders are also relatively cheap to buy, and yet produce a professional look to your cards.

Back soon with Day 2, and 2 more examples of the embossed card.







2 comments:

  1. Hi I like the simplicity of embossed cards, but would you always add a background layer to your embossed part.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wpersonally add layers to most of my cards. Not multiple as you see on the tv shows, but one black or metallic or coordinating sheet as it acts like a mount on a picture and makes the the main design 'pop' adding more interest or dimension to your work
      Thank you for taking the time to comment, you are in the draw to win the cards. Dee

      Delete

Make a comment