Followers

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Alternative Greeting Cards

Origami Alternative Greeting Cards

Hi Crafters

Today I went back to a Christmas project I  made for the Craft sales in 2018. I was given a pretty origami star that a friend picked up whilst in Germany. They sell them in the Christmas markets on the continent. The stars are  often exchanged at Christmas, between friends, and then used as decorations, so I think of them as friendship cards

Whilst the Christmas style are made to finish in a star, I have made them today with a simple square fold and a more ornate flower shape folded in the same way.

I had to revisit my previous makes to remind myself how to fold them, but I enjoy making them and will be making more for this Christmas. 

The first ones I made used Japanese origami papers as they are so pretty and I have a birthday coming up with someone who loves all things Japanese. 




You start with a square. Fold in half , unfold turn and fold in half the other side.
Turn the paper over and fold diagonally.
You should now be able to fold in the sides to form a square.
You will need 5 or six of these folded sqaures to make each card. Making sure they are all in the same direction, glue one on top of the other.
Using a piece of narrow ribbon or cord, fold it in half and thread the folded end through a bead, tie a knot in the folded end to form a loop and stop the bead slipping off. 
With the open ends of the card at the top add one piece of ribbon to the front centre and the other to the back centre 
Next  cut 2 squares of card to fit just inside the square and glue over the top of the ribbon 
This card is for the sentiments. Either stamp or add 3D greetings to the front, leaving the giver the back piece to write their message.

By adding the ribbon in this way when the card is flat the bead keeps it closed, you then slip the bead up unfold the folded pieces and slide the bead down again to hold the shape open. It can then be hung as a decoration.

Here are the flower shaped cards I made using the same method


 I will be selling these on Ebay as Alternative greeting cards 
They are so cute and a pretty greeting for friends and family.




Happy Crafting and stay safe
Dee


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment