Followers

Saturday 18 April 2020

And now for Something Completely Different - Sew a Bag

Hi Crafters

I have been crafting most of my life and when I was a young girl my mother would show my sister and I how to make craft items for out friends for Christmas, (very useful as we could  not afford to buy very much so we would get some nice soaps, and bath items and make a pretty "Dolly" bag to put them in).

I have always enjoyed simple sewing, although my mum went onto do beautiful quilting and machine embroidery work. A couple of years ago I went to a craft day with the WI and one of the items we made was a tote bag. I enjoyed it so much I went and bought myself a good basic sewing machine when I retired

I love to recycle fabrics and look out for pieces in charity shops or sometimes shops selling curtains etc have remnants in a bucket for sale during the simmer.

I make Nightdress cases, shoe bags, makeup bags etc and whilst we have been in isolation I have made a few more bags from my fabric stash.

The are made from some fabric I bought to make paper crafts with in the days when we use to cut the squares out cover card sections with the picture and then use them to embellish cards and projects.
It has some lovely beach and seas scenes and has made a great set of bags for travelling 




All the bags are lined and have ribbon threaded through with bead ends to tie up for closure.

This next bag is made from a cushion cover bought new in pack from the Hospice shop. I loved the embroidery and though I could make something with it. 

By just folding it in half and adding ribon to the front for the tie the bag was lined and embroidered and ready to use. This will be a pretty makeup bag.



Back soon with the coffee break crafts I mentioned yesterday

Stay safe and keep crafting
I for one will be checking out the new Kirstie Allsop show on Monday , shown every day with ideas to craft at home using items in the home.

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment