Followers

Sunday 24 May 2020

My Best Ever Album

Hi Crafters

After making an album using Paul Ford's video on YouTube I decided to have a go at another album. This time I wanted to try the a method that would allow me to open out pages and flaps from the base page. This would require a hinge centre, which I have tried before but not quite mastered. So I watched some tutorials, and found a great tutorial from "Scrap and Create" , (in fact 3 videos altogether) that showed the construction of the album, different page configurations and some page decoration.  I would recommend these videos for a professional finish if you are starting out making your own albums. I have made quite a few in the past but this is definately my best.


I used Chipboard for the covers and a hinge centre as shown in the video. I decided to use a Craft Consortium pad of 12 x 12 papers called Gypsy, which I love and had used some sheets, but there were plenty left. I also needed 5 sheets of A4 card for the abse pages and Black card for the additional pages and flaps.
The hinges held 5 base pages each double sided and they act as an envelope on which your fold out pages are attached.
Page 1
Has a pocket that holds a mini book with 4 sections for photographs, a back page to the pocket and a top flap where smaller photos can be added both sides
Page 1 back
Clear page and then additional flap and slightly smaller flap that fold in.

Page 2
2 half page flaps open to reveal a pocket and inside the pocket I have added a little packet to hold memorabilia
Page 2 back
Clear page and then a double flap giving an additional 4 sections



Page 3
Flap with ribbon closure that opens to reveal the page and a smaller flap
Back page clear with a flap that has a ribbon corner to hold tags and 2 tags have been added that can be used for journalling or photographs





Page 4
SIde panel that holds tags,  2 tags have been added that can be used for journalling or photographs
and a half page flap with a pocket on the outside
Back page is clear with an additional flap that has a pocket and 2 more tags, a half page flap and a smaller outer flap that all fold in



Page 5
Another half page that opens with a pocket and 2 tags inside
Back is a full page with photo-corners

As yet I have not added anything to the inside of the front cover or back cover, I will also add some decoration to the spine. The front has been decorated with a simple postcard matching the many tags inside and a swirl of tiny beads.

The album will  hold at least 40 photographs as it is now, plus each of the five pages will take additional photomats 12cm x 15cm, another 10 pages or if 2 are added (there is enough room) to each section this would allow another 20 potographs.

This was a larger project than I normally tackle, but by making the album and pages in the same sequence as shown in the video it allowed me to be reasonably organised in my approach, so the whole album so far has taken about 4 afternoons.  It has inspired me to tackle another couple of albums for presents and as I have until Christmas I am looking forward to taking my time.

If you have children and grandchildren what a lovely way of capturing those precious moments. I know everyone takes photographs on their phones nowadays, but I do wonder how many of those will  be availble to  look back on in 20 or 30 years time.

If anyone knows of any other videos on YouTube that give good album tutorials please let me know.

Happy Crafting and stay safe
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment