Followers

Monday 27 April 2020

Satin Ribbon Flower

Satin Ribbon Flower 


Hi Crafters 

In my post yesterday I said I would be having a go at more flowers using the burning method
For this you need Satin ribbon 
 A candle or night light 
A pair of long handled tweezers 

I first saw the method on YouTube and although I have made flowers with satin ribbon before, burning the ends to seal the thread, I have not used the heat to give movement in the petals, and wanted to try it.

I had a few attempts with narrow ribbon, the video I saw used 4cm wide, the one I had in cream was only 2.5cm. This did not work well and I could not get good enough petals to produce a flower
So I tried a 4cm in blue with stars on. This was better and with practice would make reasonable flowers. 

And lastly I went back to the narrower ribbon cut the corners off the top ends and held them over the flame to singe the ends, then instead of twisting them to get petal lines I folded the bottom end in  a concertina fashion, put them in my tweezers and held them over the flame to pinch in the bottom of the petal, this also gave a small amount of shaping to the petal. I then put the top end back over the heat to get the petal top too curl a little. 

For the finished flower I used 7 pieces of ribbon 2.5cm x 6cm and 5 pieces 2.5 x 4.5cm long 

I laid the larger petals flat and sewed them with running stitch, at the bottom end, onto thread and pulling them round in a flower shape, overstitched the centre flower and laid flat. I did the same for the 5 smaller petals.
I then cut a 2.5cm circle of felt and hot-glued the larger petals onto the centre, then the smaller petals in the middle, finishing the flower with a pretty pearl and diamante embellishment centre 



This would make a lovely bridesmaid's hair adornment and you could make it to match the dress
Or a cortage for the summer ball, add it to an elastic wristband 

Why not have a go, and sned me a picture of your flowers, I would love to see them.

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment